171E. Punishment for bribery.
Whoever commits the offence of bribery shall be punished with imprisonment of either description for a term which may extend to one year, or with fine, or with both:
Provided that bribery by treating shall be punished with fine only.
“Treating” means that form of bribery where the gratification consists in food, drink, entertainment, or provision.
CLASSIFICATION OF OFFENCE
Punishment—Imprisonment for 1 year, or fine, or both or if treating only, fine only—Non-cognizable—Bailable—Triable by Magistrate of the first class—Non-compoundable.
- Law Note: What Are the Offences Related to Elections?
- Read Indian Penal Code (IPC) in a better and systematic way.
- Download beautiful, colourful, mobile friendly PDF for IPC.
- Governor of an Indian State: Role, Importance, and Functions - 4th September 2023
- Guardianship Under Hindu Law in India - 13th August 2023
- All Rules for Adoption in Hindus Under Hindu Laws - 13th August 2023