1. Short title, extent and commencement.
This Act may be called the Indian Evidence Act, 1872.
It extends to the whole of India
except the State of Jammu & Kashmir and applies to all judicial proceedings in or before any Court, including Court Martial, other than Court Martial convened under the Army Act, the Naval Discipline Act, or the Indian Navy (Discipline) Act, 1934, or the Air Force Act but not to affidavits presented to any Court or officer, nor to proceedings before an arbitrator;
Commencement of Act – And it shall come into force on the first day of September, 1872.
(The words “except the State of Jammu and Kashmir” omitted by Act 34 of 2019, s. 95 and the Fifth Schedule (w.e.f. 31-10-2019).)
- Read the Indian Evidence Act in a beautiful, systematic way.
- Download beautiful, colourful PDF for Evidence Act.
- Governor of an Indian State: Role, Importance, and Functions - 4th September 2023
- Guardianship Under Hindu Law in India - 13th August 2023
- All Rules for Adoption in Hindus Under Hindu Laws - 13th August 2023